Everybody has a plan until you hit them in the mouth.
For the Ducks this weekend at Colorado, the keys are simple:
1. Create a sense of inevitability with a solid start. Establish an offensive rhythm and efficiency to take to Seattle next week in a pivotal road game.
2. Contain Paul Richardson. The Colorado wide receiver started the season with a pair of 200-yard games, and he's far and away the Buffaloes' most dangerous weapon. He excels at yards after catch so the Ducks have to tackle well. Prevent big chunk plays that excite the sideline.
Buff Daddy: it's actually a girl buffalo, but it's still the coolest mascot entrance besides the Duck on the Harley. After all, LSU doesn't actually charge out with the Tiger. (Doug Pensinger, Getty Images)
3. Run the football. The Ducks have a physical advantage in this game and they ought to use it. Build on the momentum they established last week in the running game with Byron Marshall running for 130 yards and Thomas Tyner running for 94.
4. Get Marcus Mariota in a rhythm. Receivers need to help him by completing plays. A smooth start in the passing game sets the tone for the Huskies and keeps those 7th and 8th defenders out of the box.
5. Be physical and dominant. Don't let a rebuilding team feel this is their day. Come off the bus ready to play football, block and tackle. Linebackers especially have to be effective--Colorado throws underneath a lot, swing passes to backs, quick screens, and pursuit and good tackling will keep them from stringing plays together.
6. Come home healthy. Erick Dargan, Ricky Havili-Heimuli and DAT all left the field with injuries last Saturday, and with Washington, UCLA and Stanford coming up the Ducks don't need any more. No more 5-yard runs by the starting quarterback up by 38. Take that one out of the playbook until it's really needed.
7. When Ralphie does his famous run, just stay out of the way. The Buffalo is no respecter of the new targeting rule.
8. It's a natural grass surface at high altitude, but the Ducks are the deepest, fastest and best conditioned team in the conference. Stay on track and take the excuses and distractions out of it.
As I am most likely the only one reading this who has been shoulder checked by Ralphie into the wall at Folsom Field, I can say without hesitation that she is a beast. A lot faster and stronger than I thought. (True story.)
Who is not amazed and surprised by the impact that Kiko Alonzo has been making so far in the NFL??
My new favorite football fan. Good popcorn! It's frustrating to be a Cougar fan and yes, it is pouring down rain. A bit too much hair of the dog.
Dale, a great leading paraphrase from Mike Tyson. I don't have P12N, but I have Jerry Allen trying to pronounce Yruretagoyena. Uncle Jerry makes everything OK. Double eye black for that high altitude sunshine. Skov it on, bros.
Lets hope you all have the PAC 12 Network. It would be great to see Marcus get in the groove for the first half and then get out of the game. Then it would be great to see our two excellent backup QB's actually throw for yardage rather than manage the continual hand off to run out the clock. I don't mean run up the score but some competitive experience would be nice to see. GO DUCKS!
@goducks58 That is a fascinating story, and I'd love to hear you tell it. How did THAT happen?
@goducks58 The cowboy's weapon of choice is the .45 Auto for big, wild range animals getting rowdy.
@nyduck It's an amazing story. 12 tackles last night and a tfl. 4 interceptions in the two games before that.
@duckified We've all been that guy, just a little too into whatever we were eating especially when our team is in the middle of an ugly, snooze-inducing performance.
@duckified Agree! He had three fumbles and a drop in his first four touches against Cal, but went on the have a 130-yard rushing day.
@DrakeMallard Love Jerry Allen. I may synch up the TV to the radio of the game just so I can listen with you.
@SonomaDuck Ducks have been fortunate to get 2nd and 3rd teamers a lot of snaps in four blowouts, including both of the qbs. Builds morale and depth for the future.
@DrakeMallard I believe that's correct. Home games only for the big mama.
@hoboduck Absolutely. They have plenty of firepower for Colorado, but they could use all their weapons in the weeks ahead.